Sunday, July 5, 2009

My Inner Child.

Have you noticed lately, that more and more adults have stopped celebrating their birthdays with their actual birthdates? Like they say this is my 3rd 29th birthday, or something along the lines of that? I even have a few friends that do that, one that always has her 5th birthday, another that insists she's still in the 1st grade. Some people find that immature, they think that these people just need to learn to embrace the fact that they are forever growing older and they need to act their age... their real age. But I'm not so sure about that.

Sure, there's a bit of a limit that everyone should respect regarding how old you "act" from a day to day basis. We don't need grown adults throwing complete tantrums in the middle of public places because they refuse to pass the maturity of a two year old. That's a bit much. But in the same sense, if everyone were to loose their sense of an inner child, the world would just be a downright awful place. A happy medium is definitely in order.

Today I bought light up Transformers shoes that velcro from the kids section at Payless. I have pretty tiny feet, I fit in a kids size 2 shoe, and while out with a friend of mine shopping, I found these shoes and absolutely loved them. All my child hood, I really wanted shoes that were velcro and shoes that lit up. I never recieved either of those and although it wasn't a huge devestation to me, I've always vowed that if I had kids they would have plenty of each type. These shoes were pretty much everything that I would have wanted as a kid (other than the fact that they are boys shoes, and when I was younger I would have rather had a pretty pair of girls shoes thank you very much.)

As I was leaving the store with my sister, she kept giving me this look of disbelief, with some eye rolling thrown in here and there. I knew me buying these shoes was something that she could expect from me, so I asked her what was up with the looks. She admitted that this was definitely something I would do, but that it was a bit ironic. Here I am, an 18 year old girl, about to start college, and I'm overly excited about a pair of shoes that boys ten years my junior would love to have. It was a bit funny to think about. While we went through Target later on, we noticed that some of the school supplies had been set out. There were little backpacks and lunchboxes set out, a few of them with Transformers designs. We joked about me getting some of those as well, but of course I didn't. A little later on, a boy walked down an aisle we were in talking about his new lunchbox and how it had Optimus Prime and Bumblebee on it. My sister nudged me and said something about how I should go talk to him, he'd probably be jealous of my shoes. He didn't look more than maybe 5.

Is it so wrong that I would get these shoes? I normally am drawn to flashy colorful bright things, things that little kids would like, and while I do play dress up and do other kid like things with my friends, I definitely do not act like a 2 year old all the time. I don't think that just because I'm going off to college in a few months means that I need to grow up as fast as possible. I hope that I never grow up completely and loose my inner child. I'm used to getting odd looks based off what I'm wearing or doing, and while I wear these shoes very proudly, I'll be prepared for any looks people are going to give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment