Monday, July 6, 2009

Cry myself to sleep.

Every once in a while, one of the girls I know will get into some sort drama or trouble, and will come to me at some point and claim that she had cried herself to sleep the previous night. Now, I've never actually cried myself to sleep, so at this point all I can do is slap on a concerned face nod, and say something about how I'm sorry. But the truth is, if they really managed to cry them self to sleep, then I envy them. I wish I was capable of doing that.

If I have something that I'm really worried about, something that makes me cry at night, where I might cry myself to sleep... I can't sleep. I usually stay up for nights thinking and worrying about whatever it is that has me upset. I have never managed to cry myself to sleep, no matter how exhausted and run down I am. How nice it must be to let out enough emotion to calm yourself enough, to put yourself at enough peace to be able to fall asleep. To be able to cry out enough of your worry to be able to set your mind at some ease. If I was able to do that, I would go through a lot less sleepless nights.

It's obviously a little hard for me to pity someone who says that they have cried themselves to sleep, and yet I always feel bad for thinking so, because I know the nature of girls. They say that in order to get sympathy, and although I believe they should be at some ease to know that they were able to sleep some even with the trials they are going through, I know they see it as such a negative phrase. Most people see crying yourself to sleep as some chaotic horrible thing, someone lying in darkness alone, having to tough out the harsh emotions they are faced with. This is not the picture that pops into my mind when I hear that phrase.

When I hear "I cried myself to sleep" I see something a lot more tranquil, nice, calm even. A release of bad emotions in the comfort of one's own bed. Eventually becoming more and more at ease until finally slipping away to peacefully sleep the night away. It sounds nice to me... is that really all that wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment