Saturday, April 17, 2010

What do you want to be?

What do you want to be when you grow up?

You know how when you were little, and someone asked you that question... the possible answers could be infinite? You wanted to be a fireman or a doctor or a princess or a buss driver or an astronaut or a teacher or the president or anything you could think up at the time? I remember some of my past answers to that question, when I was younger I wanted to be a vet and a teacher and a artist and a ballerina... the list goes on.

It's a little harder now that I'm almost done growing up. I'm going to school to be able to become what I wanted to be when I grew up... I'm almost to the grown up part. And I still can't decide what exactly it is that I want to be when I grow up. My immidiate thoughts recently have been photographer and music teacher. Those are the things that have given me the most logical interest I guess. I love taking pictures and that's something that everyone's always going to need. There are so many memories to be captured, always and I'm always seeing the millions of ways to capture them for people. Music teacher is something that's grown on me a bit. I considered this one mostly after the end of marching season my senior year. I realized that I had done a significant amount of the teaching and leading and teaching work for the band, and upon further thought I realized that I had actually done quite a bit of the administrative work as well... and I had loved every bit of it. I remember the impact some of my music teachers had on me as I was a growing musician and I would love to have that type of impact on new growing musicians to come.

Something new that I've been considering after a realization that I have a special place in my heart and mind for soundtrack instrumental music is music performance. I realized one day that I would love to be part of the orchestras that played and recorded the music that would be played in the movies. I love to play my instruments and I'm always so moved by the beautiful music that is created, I would love to be a part of that too. I would have to choose between the flute and percussion, but I think I would be happy either way.

Away from school, I've realized that there are some things that I participated in when I was little that I let go of after moving when I was 11 that I really regret not continuing in. I really wish that I could pick these things back up, and maybe I could if I found the time, maybe take some side classes and relearn what I might have forgotten, and even further my skills.

Ballet and dance was something that was a huge part of my life before we moved. I was in at least four different classes at any given time and performed in several recitals and shows. I remember that I loved it. It wasn't like most sports that I tried where I dreaded going to practice or where I didn't like doing the routines. I actually really liked it and wanted to do it for a very long time. Ballet after I moved just didn't seem the same and I quit. Just like that. I want to try to take some classes, hopefully they have some that college students can participate in. Dust of the cobwebs, regain my flexibility and maybe even become a ballerina dancer on the side.

Tennis was something that I was supposed to continue with for a very long time. My lessons teacher once told my mom that I could go pro one day. I apparently didn't have any problem picking up the skills and putting my practice into play. I didn't mind tennis, as far as sports go, I was pretty challenged in most of them. Not tennis. It was the one sport I was good at.

Drawing was something I still don't understand how I picked up. My sister has always been able to draw so much better than I have and she does it with such ease... and no lessons. I took so many lessons when I was younger, shading and sketching and coloring and painting and etc on and on. It was because I liked it... and I think I thought I was good at it. Maybe at some point I realized that I wasn't really cut out to be that type of artist. But I still like to doodle, and sometimes I wish i could draw a little better even if it's just a sketch or too on the side of my notes.


Maybe someday in my future I will successfully be everything I wanted to be when I grew up. That's my ultimate goal. It may take me a while but in the long run it would be so completely worth it to be able to say that everything that I really seriously ever envisioned myself becoming, I had really been able to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment