Sunday, March 13, 2011

I think to me, it was never about the competition.


That's part of the reason it makes me so mad that it's so important to everyone else.

When it's enough for us to say that we just went out and had fun with it, and that we enjoyed ourselves and thought we did amazing and not doubt ourselves when others try to tell us otherwise... I think that makes us better. We might be a young group but we're definitely more mature than a lot of people give us credit for. And we're smart. The kids in this line come up with so many solutions if things are going wrong, and some clever visuals to help tell a story.

And I don't care what the judges say, our show makes sense, we tell a good story. Just because it's not a "concept" show doesn't mean it doesn't put a  point across. Besides, there is a concept in our story if you really cared enough to pay attention.

Plus, just because we don't care about the competition doesn't mean that we don't try. We do what we do because we love it, why would we only give half of our efforts toward it? I think because we have fun with it, because we love hearing that we have more fans because of the way we are, because our instructors say we can, we end up giving more to it than most groups. And by more, I mean not just the skill, not just the focus, not just the technical stuff. We have a passion, we've got humor, and more importantly, we have each other.

Yesterday was a bit of a rollercoaster ride for us. Our first show was the best show we had ever had. To hear that the judges didn't agree was tough. But we bounced back at an amazing rate, and didn't lose an ounce of motivation. We improved on a lot of things in a little amount of time, and then saw some improvement in our scores. I hope that proved to some people that we don't get beat down and discouraged too easy. I feel more accomplished about the fact that we moved up two points, even staying on the bottom.

We have two more competitions and a home show left. Honestly, I don't care if we medal at championships, I'm looking forward more to the home show than the championships anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment