Monday, August 10, 2009

Look at the big picture.

It's amazing how if you don't look at the big picture, you don't realize how much work you're actually achieving. For the past few weeks, I've been frantically working out, trying to gain muscle before my auditions (which are tomorrow O.O). So far I just wasn't seeing much result and I was feeling as if all my work really wasn't helping. I just wasn't feeling ready at all. How disappointing that weeks of work had resulted in nothing? What was the point?

But then a friend mentioned that I was getting some muscle. He hadn't seen me in a while, and so I guess rather than myself seemingly seeing no huge difference from seeing myself everyday, he saw what was a few weeks of weight work. I looked at myself a little closer that night... and yes it did seem as though I had gained a bit of muscle. Ok, so maybe the working out wasn't completely futile...

Another night as I was trying to get something out of a cabinet at a friends house, I swung myself up onto the counter so that I could reach higher. As soon as I had done so, another friend commented a little surprised: "Did you just swing yourself up there with your left hand?" I had, and rather effortlessly so. I hadn't really noticed how easily I had just popped right up and the fact that I did it with my non dominant hand, an act that with my coordination would normally end me on the floor, was a bit satisfying.

Now that I look at the big picture, I was getting a lot more work done than I had thought. Day by day of course it didn't seem so, I was only really looking at a day's worth of work and that most definitely did not seem like enough to help me throw around cymbals. But looking back at a few weeks worth of work, even though it still doesn't seem like much to me, it's still a lot better and more settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment